Can you not afford the pill, coil etc.? With biko, women who do not have much money can receive prescription contraceptives free of charge. biko is a pilot project and will run until June 2019 at seven locations (Lübeck: March 2019).
Who is it for?
Women who are aged 20 or older and live in one of the 7 biko locations can apply for their costs to be covered if they receive one of following means of financial support:
- Arbeitslosengeld II (unemployment benefit)
- Sozialhilfe (social welfare)
- Kinderzuschlag (child benefits)
- BAföG (study grant)
- Berufsausbildungsbeihilfe (vocational training grant)
- Wohngeld (housing benefit)
- Benefits available under the Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz (German Act on Benefits for Asylum Seekers) (even before you turn 20)
Do you not receive any of these social benefits but still have a very low income? Your counselling centre will be happy to check whether you are eligible for what biko offers.
The costs can be covered for the following contraceptives:
- Pill (ideally with a 6-month prescription)
- Copper coil
- Hormonal coil
- IUD with copper
- Depot injection, three-monthly contraceptive injection
- Vaginal ring
- Contraceptive patch
- Hormonal implant
- Morning-after pill (only available on prescription)
What biko has to offer is currently only aimed at women. pro familia will, however, be glad to advise men on topics such as sexuality, relationships, family planning and contraception. We would appreciate it if men could tell their female partners and friends about biko.
How it works
Please bring all necessary documents with you to your appointment:
- the prescription from your doctor
- the coil and the cost estimate for inserting the coil
- the current status of claims for Arbeitslosengeld II, Sozialhilfe, Wohngeld
- or up-to-date proof of income (e.g. pay slip)
- ID or passport
A biko counsellor at pro familia will advise you and check whether you are eligible for your costs to be covered. If so, you will receive confirmation from biko straight away.
For a coil, you will also receive a cost estimate from your doctor for inserting it. Your biko confirmation allows you to go back to the medical practice and get the coil inserted free of charge.
My counselling centre
The biko pilot project will run until June 2019 (Lübeck: March 2019) at the following seven locations:
Give your pro familia counselling centre offering biko services a call and mention “biko” when arranging an appointment.
A female pro familia counsellor will give you information about getting your costs covered, and check whether you are eligible to use biko services.
If you wish, you can also receive advice on other topics such as contraception, family planning, sexuality and relationships during a confidential conversation.
Do you speak little or no German? Not a problem: we work together with interpreters.
You can find more information about other ways to get your costs covered in your region here.
Do you have any questions about biko? Would you like to give us feedback, e.g. about your visit to a pro familia counselling centre? Or would you like to tell us about your experiences with biko services?
We look forward to hearing from you!